Arts Team Volunteers
Our Arts Team is currently looking for enthusiastic and meticulous volunteers to assist with the returning of thousands of artworks from the 2023 Koestler Awards to their artists and establishments. We are looking for people to be able to commit to at least one day a week for a period of 3 months minimum, beginning in the New Year. Interviews will be in the week commencing 11th December.
We need volunteers who can work independently and can follow our procedures to process the entries efficiently and reliably. Returning the artworks is a labour-intensive task that requires care, resourcefulness, and strong attention to detail. Volunteers will gain experience in a dynamic team, getting a unique behind-the-scenes look at the exciting and diverse range of writing, music, fine art and design pieces we receive. They will also gain an insight into the running of a small, prestigious arts organisation.
Please note that you must be 18 years or older to volunteer.
Skills and experience needed:
- Physical dexterity – to wrap and handle fragile artwork in many shapes and sizes following health and safety procedures. The role can be quite physically demanding at times, as we have several flights of stairs which we regularly need to carry lots of boxes of artworks and materials up and down.
- Accuracy – you need to sustain accuracy while working with large volumes of artwork and numerical data at a time.
- Independence – we will be wrapping thousands of artworks and volunteers will need to feel able to tackle the careful packaging of delicate objects with confidence.
- An interest in one or several of the art forms represented in the Awards – an interest in the artwork will keep things lively for you.
- Commitment to the charity’s policies such as health and safety, confidentiality and equal opportunities.
- Support for the aims of Koestler Arts – we want our volunteers to share our values and to help us in promoting participation in the arts by all people in the criminal justice system, secure patients and detainees.
What to do next…
If you are interested in this voluntary role please complete the Volunteer application form and send it with a brief covering letter, outlining your interest in the role and availability, as well as your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or Isobel Rahman, Koestler Arts, 168a Du Cane Rd, London W12 0TX.
We welcome volunteers throughout the year, however we aim to process applications within 3 weeks, and will respond to you shortly after that date.Download application form Email your application to us
Koestler Arts and Ban the Box
Koestler Arts is an inclusive organisation and actively promotes equality. We endorse the ethos of Ban the Box through our own system of positively encouraging applications from people with criminal convictions. We welcome applications from a wide range of candidates, particularly those who have lived experience of the criminal justice system, and offer guaranteed interviews for paid roles to those who have been in prison or on a community sentence in the last 2 years and who meet all the ‘essential’ person specification criteria.